Arkansas State University – Beebe is seeking a Student Development Specialist. This position is a 12-month position that reports to the Director of Advising & Learning. The successful candidate will serve as an academic advisor, educational planner and advocate for prospective, new and current students; provide comprehensive advising and support concerning academic plans and progress, academic schedule, choice of major(s), activities, resources, and career objectives; coach students in making strategic decisions concerning personal and educational goals leading to graduation. Advising may occur via: online, phone, or in-person. Furthermore, the successful candidate will tutor students in business courses including developmental mathematics through college level Algebra, Accounting, Statistics, etc.
The successful candidate will have a combination of academic advising experience in a higher education setting, tutoring or teaching experience, experience with online coursework, and excellent oral and written communication skills.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide holistic and intrusive advising to students using NACADA standards and best practices. Guide students through the process of identifying strengths and interests, formulating personalized educational plans, selecting classes, and developing strategies for academic success and a successful student experience.
- As part of a team, works with the Director of Advising and Learning and other advisors/tutors to maintain advising degree plans for all campus locations.
- Works closely with faculty members and academic deans to develop and deliver high quality academic advising professional development programs.
- Tutor and mentor to promote student success and retention, especially in the area of business.
- Assist students with Advising and Learning Center resources, including textbooks, online work in Canvas LMS, computer software and hardware.
- Schedule and lead classroom visits to promote advising and tutoring services.
- Serve on campus committees as assigned.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Some night work may be required.